Due to the high numbers of welfare fraud and abuse - this is a few things that could improve the system.
At the local check cashing place, I have seen with my own eyes on welfare day a great amount of money being sent to
. The welfare recipients just simply swipe their EBT card to obtain the cash portion from the welfare and Mexico Western Union large sums of it from the same location.
With all this being said the agency that issues the money is the same that wires the money.
The following plan would not only reform welfare, it would also stop the large amounts of money being sent outside the
United States to places such as . At the same time, it would increase tax dollars, create jobs and serve the purpose in which it was originally designed for. Mexico
The state should move towards a voucher system. In doing this, the policy should decrease the cash allowance per month per household to less than one hundred dollars.
1. The state shall pay a rent allowance in the form of a check or voucher to the landlord directly. At the end of each year the state agency that issued the check shall issue a 1099 tax form to the landlord. By paying the money direct and issuing a 1099 form, the state would realize more revenue by the way of taxes. The landlord would be more accountable and pay taxes based on the fact that all money paid to the landlord was documented.
2. Food vouchers shall be issued and only allowed to be used on food and hygiene products such as soaps, tooth paste, etc. The vouchers shall not be used for beer, soda, pre-cooked foods, candy, fast foods etc. There should be a list of approved items in which can be purchased with the vouchers. The vouchers should also only be accepted / used at major food chains, not your corner liquor store. Therefore the state will receive its tax dollars. Most “Mom & Pop” stores do not always report there correct income and violate the guidelines we already have in place.
3. Every person on welfare shall be issued an identification card with their photo on it. These persons must present it every time for any purchase of any item where food stamps or vouchers will be used to pay. They must also present a
California driver license or ID card issued by the State of . California
4. If any grocery retailer honors the food stamps or vouchers without the proper two forms of identification shall be guilty of a crime
5. Any person buying or selling stamps or voucher shall be guilty of a crime and both parties shall reimburse the state two times the amount of the face value of what was sold or bought.
6. All utility bills shall be paid as follows: No allowed phone bills for no reason shall be paid with state funds; gas for general cooking and heating shall be paid with a voucher by the agencies, and the state shall be charged the lowest rate with a cap per month. All water and trash shall be paid by landlord.
7. A clothing voucher shall be issued and be only redeemed at stores like K-Mart, Wal-Mart, Big Lots, etc. with the proper ID as mention above. The amount of the voucher shall be determined by the grant given to the participant and only given twice per year.
8. As part of the right to receive welfare, all adults in the household shall agree to random drug test If a person is tested and found to be under the influence of a non-prescription drug, they shall have a one time chance to enroll into a drug program and will be required to complete it in the time the court or hearing officer allows. If this is not complied with, the grant shall be lost.
9. Any person requesting welfare will only be eligible if they have been a resident of the state for a minimum of one calendar year and cannot be eligible to receive unemployment benefits or any other state or government assistance.
10. Any person on welfare that is employed shall be required to submit pay stubs monthly to their social worker. Anything above minimum wage shall be deducted from their food stamp allowance and/or vouchers to the minimum threshold set but the state.
11. All persons receiving welfare over the age of 18 shall be enrolled into a Job Search program and shall provide proof each and every month.
12. All persons on welfare over the age of 18 shall be enrolled into Community service and shall provide proof of service for 20 hours each month.
13. All persons on welfare over the age of 18 shall furnish the state through the case workers copies of tax returns for every year.
14. All persons on welfare shall not commit crimes or be incarcerated in the state or county jail system for any reason. This also applies to house arrest cases.
15. Illegal use of vouchers or id cards should be considered a felony.
16. Sub-renting to anybody from a person on welfare shall not be permitted.
17. No married spouses of any gender shall not reside in the home or receive benefits of any kind. Any person caught doing so shall lose grant and must reimburse the state.
18. Medi-cal should not be a right, all minor children shall be treated Adults over 18 yrs of age shall seek their own medical insurance.
19. Dental care for adults shall be limited to emergency care only. Children shall receive full treatments approved per the agency guidelines.
20. Eye care for adults shall be limited to emergency care only. Children shall receive full treatments approved per the agency guidelines.
21. Special needs for diabetic and handi-cap children shall be approve per the primary doctors requirement for treatment in a timely manner.
22. Bus passes shall be issued for all people listed on the grant the use of the pass shall be only for such persons. A photo ID shall be required in order to ride and passes for the children shall be limited.
23. No person on welfare shall maintain a bank account or bank accounts with combined amounts of more than one hundred dollars.
24. No person on welfare shall hold stocks, bonds, 401K accounts.
25. Any person caught selling drugs shall lose the welfare and lose their right to apply for welfare again.
26. Any person caught living out of state and collecting welfare shall be guilty of a crime. As part of the penalty they shall repay two times the amount of total grant paid out.
27. Any person caught sending money out of state shall be convicted of a crime and shall pay three times the amount that has been sent out of state
28. Check cashing centers shall not be allowed to issue state funds. This needs to be done at local welfare offices.
29. Reporting to the welfare office must be done every two months. Recipients must file a status report including verification of school attendance records, community service reports and job search verification.
30. All Children on welfare shall be enrolled in school and attend. It is the parents’ responsibility to see that they attend and provide proof to the case worker. After 30 days of absence at school, the student shall be removed from the case. Each child who is a student will be allowed 30 days per year or six days per quarter, with no un-excused absences.
31. School lunch vouchers shall be provided by the state and shall not be part of the case.
32. Welfare should be treated as Child support if person or persons become gainfully employed then the money shall be reimburse to the state but shall not be reimbursed so that it will put them back on the welfare. Any person not on or who did not receive welfare shall be required to reimburse the amount owed and if child support was paid it shall be credited to such amount owed.
33. Any person that collects welfare shall be a
citizen. If they are not a citizen then they are not eligible to receive welfare. U.S.
34. The state shall provide no-cost birth control for any person on welfare.
35. Inspections by welfare department are a must in order to control the abuse of the welfare system. All workers shall be trained in the guidelines for welfare and shall be a
citizen. This position should be filled by only the highest qualified workers and shall be held accountable. U.S.